- Drill off the rivets heads to remove the end plate (10) as noted in Image 1.
- Remove wave washer (9), worm gear (8) and thrust washer (7).
- Drill out the holes in the housing (6) where the rivets were located with a 13/64 bit, and then tap with a 1/4-20 tap.
- Remove the cap (1) by bending back the staked edges as noted in Image 2. Then remove all remaining parts. Thoroughly clean all parts and lube the worm gear and NEW gear.
- To re-assemble, first insert retainer (5), followed by the NEW gear (4). Then insert washer (3), plate (2) and cap (1).
- Next you must re-stake the edges to secure the cap. You will need to use a flat or round nose chisel to do this. Be sure that there is little to no end play after you re-stake.
- Place the thrust washer back, followed by the worm gear and the wave washer.
- Finally, place the end plate back on the housing and secure into the tapped holes with the NEW 1/4-20 screws (11) provided.
Additional Tools Needed:
- 13/64 Drill bit
- 1/4-20 Tap
- Flat or round nose chisel
Comments are closed.